Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Day 176: New Play Tuesday! The Taming of the Shrew

Source: zazzle.com
When I first devised my reading schedule for the year, I figured I would need to break up the histories by interspersing other plays throughout. Of course, that means it'll be even longer before I finish the histories. And the histories aren't so bad, anyway. Maybe I should just be reading them all in order. Oh well. The problem with my schedule isn't the histories. It's the fact that I haven't been reading anything for a couple of weeks now and I'm hopelessly behind.

So here I am at The Taming of the Shrew. It's one of the more famous ones, so I'm looking forward to it. Sort of. It's also very...uh...anti-woman, isn't it? I might hate it. I know Laura Bates used it as a way to talk about domestic abuse with her Shakespeare students in prison. Maybe I should re-read that part of her book. 

Oh and speaking of women named Laura Bates, you should check out this blog by (a different) Laura Bates called The Everyday Sexism Project. It's sort of on topic actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment