Sunday, March 10, 2013

Day 69: Maybe I should watch the movie...oh wait, the entire world says no

Love's Labour's Lost (2000)
Starring Kenneth Branagh, Alicia Silverstone, Matthew Lillard, Emily Mortimer and Nathan Lane
Directed by Kenneth Branagh
via
A lot of the plays I've read so far have had one or more film versions. Some of them have been good, like Scotland, PA (based on Macbeth), A Thousand Acres (based on King Lear), and both Othello and O (based on Othello). Others have been, uh, not as good (like that BBC Twelfth Night, not the one with Helena Bonham Carter). Some have been hard to find (like the Twelfth Night with Helena Bonham Carter!). And some haven't seemed worth the trouble (I still haven't gotten around to watching She's the Man, or Helen Mirren's Tempest). 

So should I hunt down the wildly unpopular 2000 film Love's Labour's Lost, directed by Kenneth Branagh? The internet says, "God, no!" It was a critical and commercial flop and it looks dreadful. 

Then again, the source material is...well also not that popular. It's a long play, it's WAY too full of silliness and romantic foolishness. It's the first time in the project that I'm a little worried about finishing my play-of-the-week because I'm dragging my heels so much on this one. At least next week is Julius Caesar, which I've already read, so if I need extra time I can probably go long on this one and then just rush through Julius Caesar next week and still stay on schedule.

via

No comments:

Post a Comment