Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Day 37: Updated Reading Schedule!

I finished my reading schedule for the year! You can view it on the "Reading Schedule" tab above, or click here.

I've included some of the "disputed plays" at the end, such as The Two Noble Kinsmen and Edward III. They are "disputed" because scholars aren't entirely sure if they can be attributed to Shakespeare or not and therefore they're not in the "canon." But I'll tack them on at the end, along with the poems and sonnets.

I'm a little nervous about all of those English histories back to back, but Mike said he's looking forward to that because he knows a fair bit about English history in that time period. I'll be relying on his help come May, June and July!

I am excited to have a solid plan in place for the rest of the year (or at least until the end of September). It makes it feel more...possible.

I gave up on my original idea of reading them all in the season or time of year in which they take place. I loved the idea and I couldn't believe no one seemed to have thought of it before, but then I quickly realized there was a reason for that. Most of the plays' timelines are maddeningly difficult to pin down. Many take place over several months or years, but even the ones that take place in a shorter time period are confusing. The characters will reference both summer and winter in the same night, for instance. Or the title will lead you to believe it takes place at a certain time of the year (like Twelfth Night or A Midsummer Night's Dream), but then the play itself will reveal that it takes place at a completely different time (Twelfth Night seems to be set in the summer, even though the title suggests it takes place in January; A Midsummer Night's Dream references May Day which means it takes place on April 30, not in the "midsummer" as I had assumed was in June or July).

I don't know if the order I've picked will be the best order in which to read them or not. I guess I'll find out.

Plus, if anyone else wants to follow along with me, feel free to use the same schedule I have, or make your own. Let's do this!

2 comments:

  1. Have you heard of the Chop Bard podcast? An actor named Ehren Ziegler is taking Shakespeare play by play and discussing it thoroughly - and it's a blast. He's getting ready to wrap up Henry IV part one (I think? I'm behind), and the histories are terrific plays, as it turns out.

    http://www.inyourearshakespeare.com/chopbard.html

    It's available on iTunes, too.

    In fact, it would be fun if you let him know about your project if you like the podcast - He'd love it. Tell him I sent you. :)

    ReplyDelete