Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Day 44: Does watching Hot Fuzz count as reading Shakespeare? I say maybe...

I know, I know, I said I wouldn't reference Romeo+Juliet again, but I said nothing about Hot Fuzz
Does anyone remember the scene in Hot Fuzz in which Simon Pegg and Nick Frost go to the theatre, only to discover the next day that the lead actors have been decapitated? Well, if you do, then you may also remember that the play they go to see is a stage adaptation of Baz Luhrmann's movie Romeo+Juliet. The actress playing Juliet (and wearing the Claire Danes wings the whole time) kills herself by holding a gun up to her head and loudly saying "BANG" and then the entire cast (including the once dead but now revived Romeo) start singing and dancing chorus-line-style to "Lovefool" by the Cardigans. It is awful and brilliant. 

And I'm totally counting it as a "Shakespeare film" now.


No comments:

Post a Comment