Thursday, February 14, 2013

Day 45: What's your favourite Romeo and Juliet?

Romeo and Juliet is one of the MOST adapted of Shakespeare's plays. Today, since it's Valentine's Day, let's take a look at some of the more notable adaptations:

1. West Side Story
One of my favourites is West Side Story. Oh Natalie Wood, how I miss you!
Watch "I Feel Pretty" on YouTube

2. Romeo and Juliet (1968)
There have been about a million film and stage versions of Romeo and Juliet (I know, I know, you like the Leonardo DiCaprio one). Remember this one?
That Olivia Hussey really looked WAY too young for all of this nonsense, which is exactly how I picture Juliet.

3. Romie-0 and Julie-8: Runaway Robots
And of course who can forget Romie-0 and Julie-8, about two androids in love? What's that, you say? Everyone? Everyone can.

4. "Romeo and Juliet," by Dire Straits
And of course, who can forget the classic song by Dire Straits? Actually, I always forget about it until I hear it, and then I think "Oh I LOVE this song. I forgot how much I love it!" Every time.


5. Miss Piggy and Kermit the Frog
You think their story is any less tragic? You think their families would have any fewer objections? THEY'RE NOT EVEN THE SAME SPECIES! They know from star-crossed.

6. Romeo+Juliet (1996)
So this isn't one of my personal favourites but I'm sure it's high on a lot of people's lists. Oh, and speaking of...

7. Hot Fuzz (2007)
So it's not really a Romeo and Juliet story, but there is a scene in which an amateur theatre troupe does a production of Romeo and Juliet, except they do a stage version of the Baz Luhrmann movie. It's hilarious (I have a blog post about just that scene!).

8. "Romeo," by Dolly Parton
Remember this one? With Billy Ray Cyrus in the video? Tee hee.

9. Gnomeo and Juliet (2011)
I know nothing about this movie. Is it a love story with gnomes? I guess.

10. Every love story, ever.
Okay, not EVERY love story. Just the ones written in the last 500 years or so, in which the characters are either too young or too stupid to really know what they're doing, at least according to their parents, who hate each other for some reason that has to do with ancient feuds, gang violence or coming from "different worlds." Also, any love story that ends in suicide, real or otherwise. The list is virtually endless.

1 comment:

  1. Strange as it may be it was a search for Romie-0 and Julie-8 that brought me here!

    ReplyDelete