Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Day 134: New Play Tuesday! King John

Poster for King John at the American Shakespeare Center in Staunton, Virginia
I've had a bit of a Shakespeare hiatus for the past few weeks. I know, I know, you barely noticed because of the outstanding quality of my blog posts. It's true, I'm amazing. Remember that one that was just a picture of a sock monkey or a lego toy with a link address? Yeah, that one took me hours. 

What may surprise you is that most of those were actually done weeks ago and scheduled in advance. See, I had a few plays on my schedule that were either easy reads or ones I had read several times before and could therefore blow through pretty quickly. So that's what I did. Then I gave myself a big long break while I caught up on other things (like my two other book blogs and, you know, real life). 

But now my break is over and it's time for me to start reading again. Actually, for the rest of the year I'll be reading plays I've never read before so it's unlikely that I'll be able to blow through any of them as quickly as I did A Midsummer Night's Dream or Hamlet. And certainly not with King John. I know NOTHING about it. 

Mike told me it was like The Lion in Winter but later. That helped me not at all. I asked him which one Spencer Tracy was in it, and he looked at me pityingly and said that Spencer Tracy wasn't in The Lion in Winter. Then he wondered how I didn't know that because we've definitely watched the movie together at least once. I told him that I knew Katharine Hepburn was in it so I just assumed. He shook his head and I was no closer to understanding the plot of King John.

I guess I'll just have to read it. Or watch The Lion in Winter.
Katharine Hepburn and Not Spencer Tracy in The Lion in Winter (1968)


No comments:

Post a Comment