Thursday, May 23, 2013

Day 143: Aggh! This was supposed to be a group effort!

The time has come. The moment in My Shakespeare Year that I was most dreading. I have arrived at the histories. I began with The Life and Death of King John last week. I'm supposed to be reading The Tragedy of King Richard the Second this week. That still leaves seven Henrys (SEVEN!) and another Richard to go. I'm never going to make it.

This is the part in my year when my partner Mike was supposed to swoop in and help me. He would read the plays along with me, he said. He was looking forward to the histories, he said. He knew a lot about Tutor history because of HBO, he said. But aren't you also a history teacher, I asked? Oh yeah, that too, he said. Well now they're here and where's Mike? He's here, but he's most certainly not reading Shakespeare.

I am adrift in a sea of English kings. HELP! Somebody read these with me. I can't be the only one trying to make sense of why I should care about successions to the crown as told in iambic pentameter! Somebody? Anybody?
This is how seriously I take the throne. Pool noodle serious. (via imgur)

No comments:

Post a Comment